FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Status of UA's 777 Conversion to new International First, Business and Economy Seats
Old May 12, 2009, 12:10 am
planemechanic
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Thanks! ^
Is there also an FAA-mandated period in which the first plane is required to be "test flown," during which time it can operate commercial flights, but additional aircraft cannot yet be converted until the first one has completed its test period?
There is a certification flight with an FAA representative onboard to test the EMI potential of the new installation. There is a test flight plan developed by the airline, the engineering STC holder and in concurrence with the FAA which is designed to detect any interference from the new installation with the existing flight hardware. This test is flown once and must be performed before the STC is approved by the FAA. Once the STC is approved the aircraft is approved for commercial flight. There may be other issues that stop the aircraft from flying commercially (such as a lack of trained flight attendants on the new interior and any changes to emergency equipment locations and changes in emergency exits) that will need to be addressed.

You may be thinking of the type of flight regimen that Boeing and Airbus perform to prove the initial Airworthiness to the FAA. That encompasses many flights, many different environmental conditions and takes many months. I think the new B787 is scheduled to take about 8 or 9 months to complete this phase of development.

I thought there was something like that with the first 767 reconfig.
Not that I am aware of. There was a relocation flight from the mod house to ORD and then I believe it was back into service. They may have moved the airplane around for FA training issues but not related to the aircraft certification.

Oh. I guess I was hoping for some "mysterious but informative" insight ^ like this:

But..if that's not available this year, I understand.

The schedule is not available to anyone at this point in time. I guess I could say that in a more mysterious manner if that helps.