FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A Ménage a Trois in Texas and Escape to Mexico
Old May 11, 2009, 10:58 pm
Martinis at 8

A Near Miss

Once 336 ended I got back on 337 and headed west to catch my route to Del Rio (shown below). Coming out of Leakey I was on a 337 curve riding way to the inside of my lane. Coming in the opposite direction was small pick-up truck that was hot-dogging the curves. He was over the double-yellow line, in my lane, and headed straight at me. I got ready to slam the bike into the side of the hill as opposed to having a head-on collision with him. He swerved at the last second so I aborted the evasive maneuver. I overcame the need to chase down the pick-up and drag him out of his cab. It took me a few minutes to shake off the incident as I made my way to the Mexican border. Never underestimate these ladies, 337 almost laid me out, literally.

Here is my route to Del Rio. Keep this Google map in mind and focus on points B to G (Bracketville), as we will talk about it in a later post. While heading down this road I notice a few pick-up trucks with ranch workers in the back – Latino looking workers. The trucks are heading east as I head west. They wave to me as they pass by. At point G there is another Alamo. This is the Alamo that was used in the John Wayne movie as a prop.

Here are my spot tracks.

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Jul 24, 2009 at 8:31 am Reason: migrating pictures