FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New One-Way Flex Award / Awards, <NO> Stopover Rule, and Booking Engine (May 9, 2009)
Old May 10, 2009, 4:06 pm
gemac
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA
I'll probably get flamed for this, but I definitely see and agree with where AA is going with this. I don't think it is a good idea (from an airline's perspective) to allow BOTH one-ways and stopovers in the same award. Sure, some say it costs AA nothing, but that may or may not be the case, especially with partners. Fact is, if you start allowing one-way awards with free stopovers it could get out of hand quickly.

The point of an AA or all-partner award is to allow you to travel using miles from A to Z. If you want to stop at B, C, D, and F then you have those options available to you (OneWorld Award) or *gasp* pay for the ticket with $$$. Just my .02
While this may be true, there may be a position between these two extremes. AA did not allow unlimited stopovers at B, C, D, and F before on AA or partner awards. Would one stopover in a one-way be excessive? Also, it seems to me that it would be reasonable to limit the duration of the stopover, so that it isn't a three month stopover. I see no problem in allowing one stopover of up to 24 hours in a domestic one-way.