FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best IC Club lounge in Europe?
View Single Post
Old May 2, 2009, 7:39 am
bananacake
Suspended

Programs: Intercontinental RA/BA/BMI/Virgin
Originally Posted by Raffles
Paris - especially as you get in free as an RA ....

I read somewhere that London charges for booze except between 6 and 8, despite charging £95 inc VAT for lounge access!
Yes this was true for us, we had to stack up 4 the beers (all abit unspohisticated) on our table so that we didnt run out as the 8pm cut-off is very strict and then you ahve to pay £5-£6 per beer (not sure of wine prices). however, overall we thing the view, food offereings and modernity of the london lounge gives it the edge. Sometimes RAs get a 50% discount to the £80 fee (ie £40+VAT) which is worth it as the food is good enough for a main meal in the evening. They have full cream tea+ sandwiches in the afternoon and the breakfasts are really lovely (if slow).

It is also more lively. Maybe we were unlucky in paris but when we went to the lounge it was empty, the food offerings were limited (very limited nibbles in the evening, limited drinks and sparse continental brekky in the morning). We felt it had no atmosphere, so my vote is 100% with the london lounge if it is £40+VAt, @ £80 it is abit much and there is a great pub just round the food that does "award winning burgers & pub food" and it really is fabulous grub!

We have also done the Amsterdam IC, NO lounge, but lovely pool and incredible upgrade- i think the nicest room we have EVER had (seriously!) so i would reccomend trying this, although we thought amsterdam was abit seedy compared to London and Paris.

of course London is alot cheaper now with the £-$ exchange rate. Beers in the sophisticated bars in central paris are around 15euros, even mcdonnalds is pricy. hope this helps!