FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Priority - Miles or EUA?
View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2009, 4:13 pm
UA Insider
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by Wilco_FT
As a Plat, I was upgraded at 5-day window. I called CO to upgrade my wife with miles. She was waitlisted as no reward upgrades available at that time. Now we're at the 3-day mark. Assuming CO releases seats, will Golds clear before mileage upgrades or Mileage upgrades clear before Golds? I would assume the latter as Continental might as well get miles, but didn't see this question in the FAQ. Also, do mileage upgrades come from the same bucket as EUAs?

Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) to
Seattle, WA (SEA)
Thu., Apr 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM
Boeing 737-900

Capacity: 20
Booked: 14
Checked In: 0

This information will change frequently.
This page was last refreshed Tue., Apr 28, 2009 5:49 AM Houston, TX (IAH - Intercontinental) local time

Customers Upgraded into First Class:
CHA, M. 5B
EHL, D. 3F
GAU, M. 2A
MCC, S. 5F
MOF, A. 4F
ODD, N. 1F
RII, W. 1A
STA, D. 1B
STA, L. 4A
STO, D. 4E

Upgrade Standby List*:
No customers currently standing by
Hi Wilco_FT, in the period before expiration, the reward upgrade waitlist will automatically clear before any complimentary Elite upgrades. However, after the reward waitlist expires at 24 hours before itinerary departure, there's a very good chance it'll be trumped by subsequent Elite Upgrade Automation (EUA) runs. Of course, this would only happen if you're on a flight that's eligible for complimentary Elite upgrades.

Even though formerly-waitlisted customers are prioritized ahead of complimentary Elite upgrades on the airport upgrade standby list, this list isn't used until the closing minutes before flight departure. EUA, on the other hand, is simply referring to the list of eligible Elite members in heirarchy order, and in its scheduled runs (which occur up until 3 hours before departure), there's a good chance it'll fill up the front cabin or come close to it.

We're working on a solution that'll address this discrepancy, which involves expanding our EUA to include upgrades for customers who had expired reward waitlists. We had originally hoped to have this sooner, but I can at least confirm it's in development.