FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redemption Help: Getting to Zone 2 Advice : Copenhagen(CPH) positioning for Z2 redemption
Old Apr 25, 2009, 1:56 pm
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Question Getting to Zone 2 Advice : Copenhagen(CPH) positioning for Z2 redemption

Hi,

I'm sure lots of people must have done this before... so I was wondering if you had any advice for me around getting to CPH in December for a Z2 positioning. I've booked an F Z2-Z8 routing and was nicely happy to have saved quite a lot of cash/miles, and most happy to have saved on the UK APD (dislike of the airline tax and Gordon Brown..), so thanks for the advice on that one.
I saved: 10,000 miles, £140 cash and £200 APD on my one-way booking (+ some taxes)

My redemption starts on Saturday with an 8am flight out of CPH, so I'll be flying LON-CPH on Friday evening after work. I'm returning via another European city so will only need a one-way flight. So, what is the consensus on the board for how is best to get to CPH?

My thoughts are;
Award Business 1-way to LHR-CPH
Total Cost: 9000 miles, £105 Cash, ~£100 Tax
Positives
  • Start out a first class trip in at least some style
  • Lounge access
  • Better luggage allowance
  • Free evening meal on the flight
  • Better service
  • Better chance they'll be willing to check my bag through onto the next days flight
Negatives
  • I'm BD*G so will get the lounge access and a better luggage allowance anyway
  • Doubt that SAS business service is up to much anyway on a 2hour flight
  • Don't earn any miles
  • Almost wipes out the saving on miles/cash (and still paying APD)

One-way SAS economy sale fare, LHR-CPH
Total Cost: £116 (Current Sale on a 0.25x miles fare at £58 pp with a fare of £14+taxes)
Positives:
  • Pretty cheap
  • Earn a measly few miles (400 miles for me as I'll be past 55k miles, 200 for my wife)
  • I'm BD*G so will get the lounge access anyway, plus more luggage and can take nibbles from lounge onto the plane
Negatives:
  • My only experience of SAS economy wasn't that pleasant
  • Lower luggage allowance
  • No food/drink on the flight
  • Crammed into economy seats without my BD*G seat block

Are there any other ways or thoughts people might have to enhance this list?
I discounted any hope of a business class sale as I'm travelling on a Friday night so doubt there will be cheap flights available then. I also checked out EasyJet, but, at £52 for an about equivalent flight it really wouldn't be worthwhile.

If it was you, which one of the options would you go for? My temptation is to go for the C+M business, mainly as I'm not sure how long diamond club will be around and with the current Hilton triple points promo the miles cost is wiped out by one week in a hotel. But, I still think that its better value than the Miles only option.

Thanks for any views,