FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Star Alliance flights UK > Peru?
View Single Post
Old Apr 22, 2009, 4:12 pm
Grantosol

Programs: BA, QR status varies from rags to riches - now gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
There is a similar problem with ex-Mexico departures where there is a %age of the ticket charged in VAT. The debate is that the call centre have been incorrectly charging the %age on the full fare instead of the cash element of a cash & miles redemption (quite a difference if it's a J fare).

I believe that it has been successfully challenged recently and reduced but can't put my finger immediately on the thread.

I'm one of those who successfully challenged the ex-Mexico departure tax.. I posted this info last week under the "successful redemptions" thread for a booking from MEX/FRA/DUB business class:

18750 miles + £105.50 + £329.30 tax (!) + £25 cancel fee for earlier booking.

I explained very carefully and made her write this down. “The problem is with Mexican VAT. You are charging me 2.5% of the full C-Class value of the ticket ($4270) and should charge 2.5% of the actual cash amount of the redemption ticket (£105)” I was put on hold and was told that taxes were correct. I asked her to check again with taxes department. To be fair to her, she walked to the taxes department, clutching the piece of paper with my message on it. Another 15 minute wait, and I had a result:

18750 miles + £105.50 + £45 tax (much better) + £25 cancel fee for earlier booking.

Worth persisting...

Grantosol