FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dulles to Moscow on UA – the ULTIMATE double EQM run – right now anyway!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:04 am
whistler814

Originally Posted by noirpepper
thanks oz! I just completed my DEQM run to Moscow and this was my best MR so far. Even if I had trouble getting checked-in at IAD w/o the VISA (thanks to the dinosaur who would not accept the transit rule and my fellow FTer), it worked out very well on the end. On the way to DME, and back to IAD, there were FAs that made my journey very notable. thanks for pushing me, oz and it indeed was fun. This IAD-DME run is my best flight experiences on UA as of now (I have flown paid C/F and award C/F on UA multiple times, this one took the cake for service and overall experience flying the friendly skies w/ UA). Hope the service remains positive in this route and it helps the service to improve on other UA routes.
I completely agree with noirpepper, because I was with him on the same day turn last weekend. I'm glad that I found his company on this MR. It was only the second time I've met a FTer on a MR.

I'll add a few points from my experience. (I did not have a visa.)

At the completion of OLCI, .bomb spat out an international departure card and, surprisingly, the return BP.

I had problems with the ticket agent from the start. They were convinced that I needed a visa. Even with all the documentation that ozstamps graciously prepared, the dinosaurs weren't going to print my BPs. The supervisor, however, diligently researched the visa issue, and with the plane boarding already, ok'd the check-in and printed both outbound and return BPs, leaving us to leg it to C6. The ticket agent that noirpepper encountered printed out his BPs but overheard my dinosaur making a big scene and held up his check-in.

At the gate, the GA did a second visa check and sent us down the jetway.

The flights were more full that I had expected but I still had an open seat next to me both ways.

Upon deplaning in Russia, there is a small foyer with a transfer counter. The transfer counter will direct you to the transfer signs. (The transfer counter agent shrugged, and didn't seem to care that we were doing a same day turn.) There is a security check before you can get back airside. The Russian lady only asked us where we came from and where we are going, Washington and Washington of course! Two red stamps on the BP (none in the passport) and we were on our way to the LH lounge.

LH lounge is a left turn up the escalators right after clearing the transit security check. At the lounge, the kind hostesses did not ask for *G card, but you do have to ask for a towel at the front desk if you want to shower (and there is only one shower).

Snacks were great. Fizzy water is on the 2nd to bottom shelf, regular water is on the bottom.

Boarding calls were made: went from board now to board immediately, to you have 3 minutes left to board. At the 3 minute annoucement, we huffed it back to the gate (not far away). The agents at the gate asked a few security questions, scanned the BP and there was another security screening at the top of the jetway before we got on the plane.

I won secondary screening from ICE back at IAD.

So to sum it up, be patient at IAD. Ask for a supervisor: If you run into one who shares initials with the original car from Knight Rider, you're in luck. She's one of the best I've encountered. Transit in Russia was easy and FA's were extremely pleasant both ways. What's more, I had great FT company and a very productive flight.