FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AA schedule changes - free flight change / cancelation / refund
Old Apr 20, 2009, 1:59 pm
Deltahater

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by brp
Actually, the only obligation the airline has is to give a refund. They have no obligation, whatsoever, to make any flight changes no matter what schedule changes have taken place. In most accounts here, they have been willing to do this, but the requirement is not there in any way.

Exactly. Whether the change is large or small, AA have no obligation to change your flight.

Definitely best not to imply absolutes where none exist.

Cheers.
I know that you and I disagree on this topic every time it comes up. It is my position that AA has a rule/guideline/policy/document that is intended for vendors (e.g. travel agents), and they are operating by it. That is the rule 80/240 quoted by MAGIC111 and 3cforme. Does that provide a legal requirement for AA to do so? I don't know, I also don't think it matters much, as the net effect is (which is well documented on here) that AA does make the changes as outlined in Rule 80/240 whether nor not they are legally obligated to do so.
The bottom line is that if the OP asks for the right thing, AA is very likely to accommodate.