FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crisis discounts at highend hotels?
View Single Post
Old Apr 20, 2009, 11:33 am
the_amanized

Originally Posted by DrivingRain
Hi Kage,
Indeed. Rarely in this world do you not get what you pay for. There are clear downsides to the Amans in Sri Lanka....but when taking in all of the variables (such as the difficulty I had trying to get Skyteam premium class awards to BKK, HKG or DPS) it became the obvious choice.
I had to agree with Kage. From my own experience, I would recommend that you go somewhere other than Sri Lanka and the amans there.
I made a similar trip (8 days in galla and wella)based on the 50% discount and learned the lesson the hard way. The bottom line is that a trip has got to be enjoyable. The several hour commute on bumpy roads along will make most people grumpy,not to mention the serious service issues in both property. (amangalla's service was sliding fast as well) The activities in these 2 property was not well organized or diversed. So I was a bit bored there. And it certainly didn't make me feel comfortable when a high government official's car was bombed right before my journey to the airport. Overall, I regretted the amount time I took for that vacation because I could not enjoy it. The advantage of saving money did not make up for the time I loss.

But that is just me. Maybe it will be a completely different experience for you.