FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:25 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbessler
For those that have worked with an AA ticket, thoughts concerning doing it over the phone vs. doing it at a ticket counter/office?

Form what I understand:

- Over the phone, I won't be charged the ticket purchase fee, but will have to take the risk of a sizable voucher being sent through the mail.

- At a ticket counter/office, I will be charged the purchase fee, but will get a physical voucher right away.

Any recommendations?
AA does not charge you the ticketing fee when you have to pay the change fee. At least that is my experience. I changed my ticket at city travel center, the agent only charged the $150 change fee. I asked, she said only the highest fee applied. The same has been verified by several posters on AA forum in the past. You may be able to find the posts using search.

Also, AA does not charge the ticketing fee the next time you use the residual voucher for another ticket. I just did this 3 weeks ago.

Besides, the maximum ticketing fee you would incur, if that is the case, would be $20 for the first ticket, given the second ticket would be from the residual voucher, no ticketing fee if the OC voucher is the payment form.

Therefore, all you lose, is your time. I certainly would ticket at the counter if my residual voucher would worth couple thousand bucks, as you already know, if the voucher is lost in mail, it is LOST. The voucher is just like CASH - if AA said it issued it, mailed it, but you haven't received it - too bad.