FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suites Review
Thread: Suites Review
View Single Post
Old Nov 17, 2003, 12:27 pm
Meet me in the lounge

Hi all, long time without posting, but I've been reading....
A copule of things I have on the new suites.....

Travelled in them on the Vs3 4 times now and have the following:

All round positives.....but... (sorry to be negative, these are just my observations)

Don't expect to get too much sleep because people travelling together now find the need to shout at the tops of their voices to each other or across the cabin.....

While laying in your bed, expect lots of thuds and bags / wobbles from the person next to you if they decide to open their table or flip the bed.....the sides are not sturdy enough to cover for this....again, woken from your sleep.....

Bar now needs to be much bigger, every time i've been on board with the new suites people use the bar far more for the 'social" side....this means as soon as the seat belt light is off...the bar is full for 99% of the flight (see note re people shouting at each other)......Do not expect to eat or drink at the bar....again this increases the noise and disturbance of people gettin the bed set up then back to the chair for food...then bed..then chair for a drink........Grrrrrrr...

Air bag.....hmmm, really not comfortable in having an airbag this close to my body.....I'm not an expert, but any one know how much force / impact it takes to set this new airbag / seat belt? Vs3 last week had a passenger's arm badly bruised when the bag went off for no apparent reason......

The "sleep mat" amazes me, this is a lightly quilted under sheet, similar to many home / hotel beds have. If you are like me and toss and turn a little in your sleep, expect the sleep sheet to become wrapped all over the place and even hanging out over the floor.

Again with the duvet..... as you wriggle around or toss and turn,...expect to wake up and find the cabin getting a sight of your behind as the duvet always drift off you.....even with the belt fastened over the top....now don't get me wrong...if the cabin wants to look at my behind for the flight, it dosen't really bother me, but, not wanting to seem sexist.....I would imagine femail pax would have a problem with this. I know the duvets on the J2000 would wriggle away, but no one was staring directly at you, with the new config....the entire cabin is looking!!!! Don't travel in the nose cone if you are shy! As you change the bed / chair it's like having an audience as it feel the entire cabn waits to see someone else do it first!!!!

Eating food...the table is simply too low when opened up...this has been acknowledged and each seat has aletter for RB explaining they are working on this problem before rolling out across any more planes.

Now the biggest howler...I really don't get this one.....To your side is a sexy little hidden glovebox, illuminated in red...looks fab! Press it and it slowly opens to a suede / felt covered box containg the tv controls........ODDESSY SYSTEM!!!! So hold on,,,,they upgrade the cabins with the new suits.....but not to V Port....I'm confused...was it not the plan last year that all planes would be upgraded to V Port.....so why make a new seat that had Oddessy!!!

On the postive side, the cabin crew seem genuinley excited about the new suites...they take time to show every pax all about them.....very good.!

I really didn't want to be negative, I shall still stay with VS as it is my carrier of choice and I'm happy with their service, I just thought the above points may be of use.....
go ahead with the flaming!........