FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:24 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rbessler
For those that have worked with an AA ticket, thoughts concerning doing it over the phone vs. doing it at a ticket counter/office?

Form what I understand:

- Over the phone, I won't be charged the ticket purchase fee, but will have to take the risk of a sizable voucher being sent through the mail.

- At a ticket counter/office, I will be charged the purchase fee, but will get a physical voucher right away.

Any recommendations?
That's correct from the voucher point of view. I don't know what the differences in phone/airport fees are for AA Plats.

In general, I would be fine with them sending the voucher as long as you don't have immediate plans to drain the residual in the next two weeks. In my experience using vouchers, it's redemption-time that I get more concerned. On that next ticket you buy, you'll probably want to go to the airport with it. I don't know if the combination of your status and the "There's no way to do this all online" argument will get you out of fees.