FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies
Old Apr 16, 2009, 2:20 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gv111
So how exactly do you know of a schedule change? Does the airline send you an email or do you have to just keep checking yourself?
In my experience, if the schedule change is big enough to allow a no-fee cancellation, I get a phone call from United's automated system.

I'm used to getting those calls...I have the number programmed into my phone as the "Your Flight is F&#*ed" number. @:-)

For a no-fee change, I imagine the rules vary by airline. I've read here on FT different things: a 90-minute or greater delay in reaching your destination, or an involuntary reroute that would force you to leave earlier.

In other words, a 10-minute change won't instantly make you qualify...unless that 10 minutes happens to invalidate a connection that then delays your reaching your final destination.

The other way to get the $150 waived is for the airline to waste two hours of your time while they jack around trying to figure out how to process the change. Long story...already posted elsewhere...it involved a physical trip to the airport and several phone calls, but the airport agent felt enough pity for me to not deduct the $150 when I changed the ticket.