FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crisis discounts at highend hotels?
View Single Post
Old Apr 13, 2009, 4:34 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Benny8444
I have never seen hualalai priced this low. How does Hualalai compare to Maui?

I am just starting to take up golf so I dont know I am at the skill level that course requires
On our only trip to Hawaii in 1995 - we spent 2 1/2 weeks on 4 islands - and the "Big Island" was our absolute favorite. A lot less crowded than Maui - with lots to see in many different micro-climates. So I would vote for the Big Island - especially if you've never been there before.

As for golf - if you're a beginner - you're probably not at a skill level for any golf course . The issue is whether you want to lug your clubs to Hawaii to play a round or two - and pay for the golf (remember that in addition to the cost of the golf - you may have to pay extra baggage fees too). I am a 27 handicap - and it isn't worth it to me. But YMMV. If it does - just remember that we were all beginners at one point - and that no one cares how you play as long as you don't hold up play and tip appropriately. You hit a couple of lousy shots - and there are people pushing you from behind - pick up your ball and advance it as if you had hit a decent shot. Also remember that most resort courses are predictable in that your ball is in play - or it is gone (in the ocean - the marsh - the woods - etc.). To improve pace of play. So bring lots of cheap golf balls. Robyn