FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Oz Fest #6" - Cairns Queensland - Memorial Day Weekend, May 22-24, 2009
Old Apr 10, 2009, 5:25 pm
Platy

Travellers tips for Cairns - the Regional Art Gallery

Things to do in Cairns!!!

As the time draws near to welcome Oz Fest folk to Cairns, as a local resident I'll post a few bits of information, which might help you make the most of your stay.

My first recommendation is the Cairns Regional Art Gallery - 5 minutes walk from the Hilton and 10 minutes walk from the Holiday Inn on the corner of Shield and Abbott Streets. This small regional gallery showcases both local art and national Australian art. Due to our location there is often an emphasis on the natural world and on local Aboriginal culture.

I'll post the exhibition details in subsequent posts.

The entry is trivial (something like $5).

There is an excellent gift shop to check out for anyone requiring momentos and gifts, which are refreshingly different from the stock fare of cheap T shirts and trinkets.

The web site is www cairnregionalgallery dot com dot au (don't know if I can post a real link as a newbie).

Hours are 10am-5pm Monday through Saturday and 1pm - 5 pm Sundays.

There is an open air deck but covered cafe/restaurant downstairs called Perottas, which is a handy place for a coffee and snack whilst watching the world idle past.

Enjoy!!!