FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for getting extra FC points
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2001, 2:32 pm
RichardMannion

Programs: Various
Hi Nick,

Looking for ways to get some extra miles. Off the top of my head:-

Order a case of wine from Virgin Wines, you will get 3000 miles for your first order. Just any case of wine will do, they have one offer for about £35 at the moment.

When you do fly VS, use the preorder for duty free. I always buy around £100 -150 worth of Champagne, Perfume etc for either me or as gifts for upcoming birthdays, 10 miles per £1 spent (Min order £20). I have just booked all our Disney tickets like this and earned 6800 miles in the process.

You have the Texaco Card already, though not quite the Point earner.

Stay at Radisson Hotels whenever you can, you earn 1000 points per night (instead of the usual 1000 points per stay at most others). I find that they are cheaper than the Hilton or Sheraton etc. I spend around 100 nights per year in Radissons, 100K miles = 1 RTN Upper flight to USA.

Watch out for special offers on the Virgin Atlantic Website for double miles etc.

Book your holidays through Worldwide Travel if possible (Number in Guidebook), if you spend over £1000 you will get 2miles per £ spent. i just booked £8k worth of Flydrives to MIA for my company conference, 16000 miles and 8000 miles on the AmEx.

Sign up your partner for Flying Club too, even if they don't fly that often. Virgin don't tell you but you can go 50/50 on mile redemption.

Example A - me and my friend are flying to Toronto next year, I buy one Prem Eco ticket and it is 40k miles for a companion. Now we have gone halves and it is 20k miles each. I still earn miles on my full normal ticket.

Example B. 2 returns to NY in W. 100k miles, but you could split it 75k/25k miles as you are paying for half a reward as it is 2 separate tickets.

If I think of any more, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Richard