FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ALMOST THREE MILLION POINTS by a RTW BEER TASTING , READING NEWSPAPERS AND THE LIKE!!
Old Apr 8, 2009, 1:15 am
lovetravellingoz

Programs: SQ, QF, MH, VA, AA, BA, AMEX, Citibank
Yeh !!! ..just booked my first J flights using some of the points earnt to spend several weeks in Vietnam at Christmas time (School Holidays in Oz).

4 J rewards with SQ MEL-SIN- Ho Chi Minh & return Hanoi-SIN MEL.

Point cost was quite good IMO at 306K in total for 4 pax for all flights =76.5 K per person.

However SQ plus taxes are still high...about $Aust470 ($US330) each (note that this is fuel fines and airport taxes)...say about double what many other airlines are for the same origin and destinations due to SQ fuel fines.

Though the extra dollar cost is I feel more than offset by obtaining Saver Awards (though this means not getting the newer jets) with the extra 15% of for on-line reduction.

Certainly looking at other airlines that I could redeem with after taking into account transfer rates the point cost was far higher with the other airlines that I can access.

Also the point cost is 76.5K whether you fly just to SIN..or onward to Vietnam (or for that matter other regional destinations such as Thailand etc..).

So all in all I think it is agood use of points for my circumstances and getting 4 seats in J all together was a big plus too.

Now to start planning the trip to Europe.

Last edited by lovetravellingoz; Apr 8, 2009 at 6:56 am