FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott - Shenzhen [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:47 pm
darthbimmer

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I just got back from a 5-day stay at the JW Marriott Shenzhen, China. I'll answer some of my own questions:

The hotel is located in the Futian district of Shenzhen. It is on the edge of a business district there and is about 3km west of the main city center in Luohu. It felt reasonably convenient to technology businesses based in Longgang and Nanshan.

The hotel is very new. This affects it in a number of ways, including the fact that most taxi and van drivers are not familiar with it. If you go, bring a card printed with the address (if you don't speak Chinese yourself) and also have the phone number handy, because even with the address most drivers will still say they don't know where it is until they're coached with directions. Once you get there, the hotel's name card includes a great little map that helps drivers a lot.

Rooms at the hotel feature high quality materials in earth tones -- dark wood, dark marble and granite, and light upholstery. My room had a king bed, two chairs with a small table, a wardrobe closet, and a generously sized work area. The bathroom was huge, with a shower room measuring 6' x 10'.

The executive lounge located on the 27th floor was open all day, including on the weekend. They have sodas and light snacks at all hours, plus a small selection of free alcohol from 5 to 9pm. Breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres are published benefits of the lounge -- but aren't really ready yet. Instead, guests with executive lounge access are allowed free breakfast in the cafe downstairs, and are allowed to "order in" food to the lounge in the evening.

Hotel restaurants include a cafe, a Chinese restuarant, a Japanese restaurant, a bar, and a coffee stand. I ate breakfast at the cafe every morning. It had a great buffet selection of eastern and western foods. I also ate their dinner buffet once. The variety was still great, though the price was very dear. My favorite meal was dinner at the Japanese restaurant. Their grilled items were merely fine, but their sashimi was fantastic.

Service was a bit oddball. I figure that's a consequence of being new and catering largely to clientele from foreign cultures. The staff were all very eager to help with my every need, but they were often too eager. Many of the waiters are still learning the fine line between being just 5 steps away and seeming to hover. Two shook my hand vigorously to thank me for coming by. The bellhops swarmed me every evening when I returned via taxi. I always had at least 3 people rushing to help me with my nonexistent bags, opening the automatic door, and guiding me toward the front desk.

Another consequence of being new is that the hotel has few guests. That was great for me, as I enjoyed the uncrowded and relatively quiet restaurants and lounge. But it's a good hotel and it deserves to grow more popular.