FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa Group service to Bristol [BRS]
View Single Post
Old Apr 6, 2009, 4:03 pm
BristolTraveller

Programs: LH SEN/*G
The BRU service is better than nothing at all, but it's not great.

- It's a double daily service, but only weekdays. There's a single rotation on Sundays.
- The timetable is Swiss cheese throughout May, with lots of awkward missing morning and evening flights
- SN don't night-stop at BRS. The earliest BRS-BRU is 10:20, which means getting into BRU at 12:30.
- There are virtually no connections to *A long-haul out of BRU. Good-bye BRS-FRA-SIN/BKK/HKG/PVG/KUL/PEK
- Most intra-Europe connections are poor through BRU. I just tried BRS-BRU-HAJ to replace a BRS-FRA-HAJ. It was more expensive, and I had to spend 4 hours on the ground at BRU in both directions. Fail.
- The route is codeshared with LH (and with BD too - if you're crazy enough to book it from their website), and earns Status & Award miles in Miles and More - but there's no *A status recognition.
- The codeshared route won't interline with other *A airlines, and certainly won't create good fares. BRS won't appear on the *A destinations list.
- None of the LH fares I've checked allow BRS-BRU routings - they are all BRS-FRA/MUC/HAM/STR/DUS/ZRH-FRA/MUC/ZRH-XXX

So really, the BRS-BRU flight is no replacement for the BRS-FRA flight that is going. But maybe there just weren't enough people jumping the AF/KL ship fast enough.

I hope LH aren't considering SN/BRU as a replacement for any more of their existing European destinations.

At least the BRS-BRU route has run for decades, no doubt enjoying an indirect subsidy from all the South-West MEPs. (I was on a Sabena plane when they went bankrupt - on the apron at BRS).