FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Pilot Q&A Thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:58 pm
AlaskaCoho

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by jackal
I'll start with the first question:

Then I heard that Alaska was instituting "RNP" in the area that Capstone Phase II had been deployed in, and I began to wonder if there was a link between the two. I have yet to come up with a straight answer about what exactly RNP is, and this seems like the perfect place to ask such a question.

So, what is RNP?

RNP and Capstone are two different animals. There is no connection at all. I have described RNP in my post RNP 101. Capstone is an avionics package added to aircraft that includes IFR capable global positioning system (GPS) receivers, a Universal Access Transceiver (UAT) data-link system that enables Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) and Flight Information Services (FIS) including real-time weather, and a multifunction display (MFD) depicting terrain, other ADS-B aircraft, and weather graphics and text data. In phase I the FAA installed the package at no cost to 200 commercial light aircraft in and near Bethel as a test. In Phase 11 they will be installing the package in more aircraft, adding runway incursion warning software, adding the use of WAAS (ground based transmitters that increase GPS accuracy) and adding SE Alaska to the area of operation.

With Capstone the FAA hopes to reduce CFIT in remote areas of Alaska that do not have radar coverage. Since ATC can not see aircraft, Capstone aircraft send their position to ATC via the UAT datalink system using HF radio freq. ANC ARTCC then has equipment to receive the information and display it just like the aircraft were in radar contact. Using this system the aircraft can be afforded IFR service. In addition to this service, aircraft have the moving map displays and terrain depictions so they can operate with greater knowledge of the terrain.

The displays in these aircraft are a generation more advanced actually than the displays in Alaska's RNP equipped 737. The 737 displays a two dimensional magenta brick road. We can put waypoints, navaids and airports on the "Map". Terrain is depicted in shades of green, yellow and red similar to weather on radar. Capstone depictions resemble synthetic vision.