FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ever see poachers help themselves to a hotel's free breakfast buffet?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:11 am
ElkeNorEast

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
I used to work at a luxury hotel that was near a lot of luxury ($2.5million +) homes. Every freakin' day I'd have to stand on the meeting room level to shoo away the locals who would come over for their free breakfast - they would walk around and just help themselves to whatever was on the breakfast & break tables outside the conference rooms.

I also worked at another luxury hotel that had residences on the top floors; they could order room service & charge things to their apartments. Our restaurant opened for breakfast at 6.30am, but room service was 24hours. We put out coffee & muffins for the folks checking out before the restaurants were open. Every day one of the wealthiest men living in the apartments would come down the private elevator into the lobby at 5.30am and take 4 of the 8 muffins and fill a big carafe full of our coffee, and then he'd go back upstairs. When the breakfast guy was late he would sit on the sofa in his see-through robe from 1962 and complain. I finally sat him down and told him that if he would like muffins and coffee we could deliver them to his room as a standing order each day. He complained to the GM and the GM told him the same thing. Jerk.