FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PV Alert: Can I Take Photos at the Checkpoint and Airport?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:56 am
pmocek

Is it wrong to publish contact info for public relations staff of public agencies?

Originally Posted by TSA Bob
It amazes me that the moderators here would allow Phil to post personal contact information for our Customer Support Managers.
If I have posted any personal information, it was a mistake -- please bring it to my attention and I will promptly take action. Best I can tell, the only contact information that these representatives provided in their e-mailed responses to questions posed via TSA's "Got Feedback?" program was their work contact information. It seems that in their jobs as public contacts for TSA, publication of their contact information would be part of the job.

What I published were copies of e-mail sent by these "customer support" staff to a member of the public -- me. I would be surprised to find that anything in those messages was considered private. If I didn't publish the information, anyone who wanted it could get it via FOIA request. You at TSA seem to have a warped sense of what is private information.

These folks have taken the time to help Phil only to have their e-mail addresses and phone numbers posted for public view.
Bob, "helping" me by providing information about airport regulations that should have been published in the first place, then, since it wasn't, should have been gathered by you and included in your blog post about airport regulations, isn't exactly something that these people needed to go out of their ways to provide. We employ them to do this. They're paid to help people.

I cringe every time I use the word customer in relation to TSA, who do not sell goods or services and thus have no customers, but if contact information for TSA's "customer support managers" was not previously published, then my doing so should be considered a service to TSA's "customers".

I'm sure they'll appreciate being spammed and pranked.
Please cut the sarcasm, Bob. It seems you're implying that I should feel responsible for something that might happen with information that is available in a phone book, on federal government "contact us" Web pages, and attached as the signature to every e-mail sent by federal government "customer support" staff in response to public inquiries.

Last edited by pmocek; Apr 2, 2009 at 8:21 am Reason: note that this was all sent in e-mail