FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 30 Travel Tips: Safety, Packing, Etiquette
Old Mar 30, 2009, 5:06 pm
N965VJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Good list.

Originally Posted by tfar
1. Make a pre-trip packing list. Make the list itemized per bag (but write the entire thing on ONE sheet of paper), so you know what is in which bag. This comes in handy as a reminder when you look for a particular item and don’t remember where you packed what. It also comes in handy as a proof should your luggage get lost.
Except for my little digital camera and Bluetooth headset, I have a dedicated power supply/charger for all the other things that never comes out of my bag. I always book a room with double beds and use the second bed to unpack my stuff and spread it out (yeah, I know hotel bedspreads are DNA experiments, but nothing has turned black and fallen off me yet). When I check out, I only have to glance at three places to see if I’ve left anything behind; the desk, second bed, and the bathroom counter.

4. Put valuables and metal objects like watches, belts, coins and jewelry into the closed pocket of a coat or in the closed briefcase BEFORE you even stand in the security line. This will make things almost hassle-free and quicker for you. It also makes it harder for anyone to steal those items.
Yes! Why do I see guys futzing around with pocket change, wrist watches, cell phones at the tub table in the Black Diamond lane?

5. Your shoes go first through the X-ray machine. Your most valuable item goes last. This way your most valuable item is BEHIND you in line. You can always keep an eye on it and there is little chance that it will “overtake” you and fly off to God knows where. Only push your most valuable item in right before you need to go through the metal detector.

I’m like a pit crew member changing a tire at the Daytona 500 when it comes to the x-ray machine. My strategy is a little different:
  • Laptop sleeve in the tub
  • Laptop bag (with my two cell phones, loose change, belt or belt buckle already in it before I hit the line)
  • Rollaboard
  • Tub with shoes and jacket (and sometimes my Kippie bag, which is in the top outside pocket of my rollaboard)

I don’t send the first tub through until the WTMD is clear. When the laptop bag enters the machine, and there doesn’t appear to be a Logjam O’ Tubs™, I go through the WTMD. Even if said Logjam does occur, the only person that has access to my laptop and bag is the TSO, and I’m looking right at him. Also, I’m right handed, so since I tend to favor my right arm for lifting I find it easier (quicker) to use a lane where the x-ray is on my left.

Originally Posted by thegeneral
<SNIP> Fight off muggers with with a rolled up newspaper? Are you going to scream, "bad dog" while you do that? I'm sure the knife wielding mugger will be intimidated by Monday's USA Today.
The USAToday might not scare them off, but how about the op-ed page from the New York Times?