FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can a US immigrant with I-551 stamp enter Canada?
Old Mar 30, 2009, 2:54 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
Moral of this long story: if you're waiting for your GC make sure you don't have to have your advance parole letter, and when they tell you it's not necessary check again. Urgh.
No, sorry, but the correct moral of the story: if you need advice about anything concerning immigration, ask your own immigration attorney. Would you ask the IRS a tax question?

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
Just wanted to add that every foreigner with a Green Card (or in the process of obtaining one) must remember not to stay outside the US for more than 180 days because the US Gov't can revoke it if they believe that the foreigner gave up their residence.
In general, but as pointed out in my recent Immigration CLE ("continuing legal education" for attorneys) class, it is possible for lawful permanent residents ("green card holders") to stay outside the U.S. for longer than six months if proper arrangements are made. See an immigration attorney.

I am a lawyer. I refer immigration matters to other lawyers who concentrate their practices in this field.