FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upfared itinerary On Hold (with cleared SWUs / eVIPs) gets downfared upon purchase
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:43 pm
trinity_in_texas

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by dazza189
So I did a search and didn't find anything similar to this, though i'm probably using the wrong terms, so please forgive me if there is another thread.

My situation, I had 2 tickets on hold to the UK in O, called to upgrade fare to N class and then apply EVIP's for the upgradeable portions to C class. (there is a regional jet flight in there as well, which is obviously not upgradable)
Everything went fine, overall cost went up due to the fare class and UK luxury tax, but not unreasonably so, upgrades cleared and the PNR was put back on hold with assigned seats.

Then, I went to purchase it this am, was downgraded back to O class for everything and lost my seat assignments during the purchase stage. I had already entered my credit card information and hit purchase, and the end result was two purchased tickets in O class, and a slightly cheaper price.

Called back up, was told I couldn't upgrade from O (duh) tried to explain I had done so yesterday by going to N etc. etc. Was told that the PNR clearly showed O, but we could go through the process again. Went up to N, cleared to C, (lost the exit row on the ERJ but whatever) but now the price is ~$100 more per person.

The agent, while cheerful and helpful made it clear she didn't get involved with the web and went so far as to say she didn't know what buttons I had pressed to cause the problem (sheesh, I would have thought pressing purchase was pretty self explanatory) so I just paid the difference.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I suspect that something in the AA web process didn't like what had been done to the PNR yesterday, no application of the UK luxury tax perhaps?
The sabre system will cancel a duplicate reservation in the system, whether it's purchased or not. Additionaly, you cannot use an EVIP unless the tkt is actually purchased. The system recognizes these things. I'd suggest you call the EP desk if you want to do something like this in the future.