FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Useful list of things to say when asked to switch seats
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:20 am
Brobbel

Programs: FB M&M AA Amex HH SPG and others
Originally Posted by babsjvd
I was in an aisle seat behind my son. I asked the gentleman who was in the aisle seat across from my son if he would mind switching. Man- gentleman was not the correct description here. I am talking about one row. He was quite rude and said I should have booked it that way. Well, DUH, I would of if it were available.

I think people dont realize that seat availability is not always available.
Originally Posted by PTravel
Wow.

You decided his seat was fungible with yours. Obviously, he felt otherwise. Why in the world would you think you have a superior claim to his seat just because two seats together weren't available? You asked a FAVOR. It is the person of whom the favor is asked who is the only individual who has any say in whether the favor should be granted. Sorry, but the one who was rude was you.
I do not think babsjvd was rude at all. At what point do you think that he was rude then? He asked a favor, yes. He didn't insist in getting the change, he only asked. He didn't say he had more rights to this seat at all. You made that part up.

The reason why I agree with the thought that gentleman was rude was not because he did not grant the request, but the way how he reacted. A simple "no" or "no thank you" would have done the trick. There is no need to explain. But now he was insulting to the one asking and that is -also in my opinion- rude.

And that's the whole thing here. Nothing is wrong with asking, nothing is wrong with rejecting or agreeing, but it has to be done a little more polite than quite some examples in this thread and elsewere on this forum.