FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renting an apartment in NYC - contract question
Old Mar 20, 2009, 9:31 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by erik123
To get back to the original question: Yes - it is very likely that you can add this provision to the lease if you are an expat.
And you know this how?

You could ask your broker (fees are paid by the landlord nowadays and they are clamoring for business) to find a landlord willing to include this provision.
I can also ask a broker to find me a three bedroom at One CPW for $1,500 a month.

Not all fees are paid by all landlords although there are some concessions
being made.

You're actually arguing against your own point. If as a landlord, I am paying a broker a commission to find me a tenant, a commission predicated on receiving a total amount of rent for a year or two, why in the world would I allow an early termination? A landlord who paid no commission (as things generally were until this year) would have much more reason to agree.

This makes the entire discussion about litigating these cases moot.
Not quite. If you know there is a possibility of wanting to leave before the end of the term and you fail to disclose this to the landlord before the lease is signed, this makes a lawsuit much more likely especially if rents continue to go down.