FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help evaluating an NAS solution
View Single Post
Old Mar 19, 2009, 11:56 am
nmenaker

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
different

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is not traditional RAID but the data is stored in multiple places such that the failure of a single drive doesn't cause a loss of data (in theory). I am a rather strong opponent of software RAID - including the WHS sort of approach - as the chances of a software failure are higher than the chances of a hardware failure and the recovery steps are likely to be more troublesome. But that's just me.
The only way to have file and folder and data duplication on the WHS is to set it up that way, as essentially a within the tower multiple backup strategy. The drives are independent, and they are not redundant if setup as shared storage. So, if one doesn't specifically say, keep DRIVE A, separate from the DRIVE B and C aggregate storage pool, and then also specifically says backup folder 1-10 on drive A, ALSO on the shared storage pool, then if drive A fails, you will lose the data. This drive is not spanned across any other drives in WHS.

I have four drives in the tower, disk 0 (original and OS disk) and disk 1 and 2, in a pool of 2.5TB. Then, disk 3 (the fourth in the tower) contains backups of essential data that I had designated as needed to backup. If disk 0 fails, I am SOL as for the OS going down. I cannot just pop in another disk 0 and be back up and running.

so, it isn't really as great as RAID CAN be, but it is also much faster and more specific.