FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:04 am
zan5hin

Programs: AAdvantage, Krisflyer, Velocity
Originally Posted by Cloudlake
I'm looking at doing an LONE3 (or maybe DONE3) and would like to maximise the miles that I earn doing it (I'm not as bothered about status, I want to get award flights).
I am like you, evaluating which xONEx to purchase with the aim of getting award flights.

Essentially, it is very difficult to earn AA miles with a LONEx when flying on partner airlines.

For example, a LONE3 ex-AKL which costs AU$3500 will give me about 40k on my preferred routing including status bonus when maximising by flying JAL, QF, RJ and AY (and AA of course). If I fly a less optimal route but for the miles, I could get 55k. At the same time, it is a headache trying to avoid CX, BA, MA and IB at all costs. e.g the only flights from Europe to Asia earning 1 actual mile per mile flown is the AY flights HEL-wherever. Limiting yourself to JL and QF in Asia, is also, well, limiting

On the other hand, I can get a DONE3 ex-ICN which costs AU$6300 and will give me about 87k AA miles from flying 41k miles. Now doing this I can fly CX more which is always a good thing.

If I had to put a AU dollar value on the extra miles I'd say it's worth at least AU$1000, making the price difference between a LONE and a DONE leaning much more to the DONE side of the equation.

I currently have 42k miles, with a DONE3 xONEx I would end up with enough miles for an OW130C award.

Feel free to PM me to discuss further.