FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cannot assign seat on Delta.com
View Single Post
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:16 am
drsan

Programs: Marriott PP, UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Life Gold, WN A-List
Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy
I recently received a schedule change on a Palm Spring itinerary, changing me from DSM-MSP-PSP on NW, to DSM-MSP-SLC-PSP, with the flights into and out of SLC now on DL. Besides doubling the length of my trip and forcing me onto a 5:00 AM flight, I lost all seat assigments. I was able to choose elite seats for the NW flights on line, but DL flights were "not assigned". I called the Plat line, was given my DL confirmation number, and told I could pick seats on the DL website. The website let me choose non elite seats on the seat map, but they did not stick and when I would log in again it would say "not assigned". I tried this over and over for a couple of days, and finally called DL. The agent said I couldn't choose seats on their site because I didn't have a Skymiles account and since NW issued the ticket, they would have to reserve my DL seats. Back to the Plat line (and agent couldn't have been nicer), she literally had to call DL, with me on hold for about 15 minutes, she was able to get me seats on the DL flights. She also told me that I could change them if I wanted via the DL website. But I had the same problem. I could change on the seatmap, but the selection did not register on the reservaton. I called DL again and, long story short, was told the remaining seats on these flights were "blocked" and that unless I was an elite I couldn't change the seats. When I informed her that I was a NW Platinum, she said she "cannot see that" and that there was a problem "over at Northwest" in getting the elite data sent over to DL, and that I should call NW. Back to Plat Line, much the same routine, she had to call DL, put me on hold, but was able to get my Plat status into DL system. When I logged back into DL, my Plat status showed and I was able to change the seats. What a hassle. Then, a few days later, checking back, I notice that one of the DL flights had reverted back to "not assigned". But the flight was now almost full and I was only able to get a window seat in the tail of the aircraft. DL agent said there had been an aircraft change on the flight and could not explain why my seat had not been automatically reassigned.

I am seriously thinking of cancelling this entire itinerary (it's an award) and just booking on UA or AA, that can get me there in two flights.
For this and many other reasons, your inclination to book UA or AA is correct, in my view. It's too bad that WN doesn't serve DSM. Delta could easily fix this SNAFU, but they choose not to. Virginia Avenue is not stupid; they know about all this, but choose to not address it or fix it.

Remember, the intended business policy is to steer you into using Delta resources (res, website, phone support, FF program) and quit using Northwest resources. But, by making it difficult, DL management run the risk of pax bolting to other carriers. This seems to be the case here.

Good luck, you may need it!