FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011
Old Mar 15, 2009, 4:47 am
Cloudlake

Location: hopefully somewhere interesting, just moved from CMB to CAI
Programs: AAdvantage, Etihad Guest, Qatar Privilege Club
No status with any FFP, will I get on The Challenge?

I'm looking at doing an LONE3 (or maybe DONE3) and would like to maximise the miles that I earn doing it (I'm not as bothered about status, I want to get award flights).

From what I understand from the things I've read here about The Platinum Challenge I need to get 10,000 EQP so if I start my RTW as follows will this count? I can't find anything saying there's a minimum number of segments.

LON-LAX-DFW on a DONE3 (6699 miles, in D, 1.5 EQP / mile) = 10048

LON-LAX-DFW-SJO-DFW on a LONE3 (10250 miles, in L, 1 EQP / mile) = 10250

And, from what I glean from the flyerguide wiki about this, if I complete the platinum challenge on the last leg of either of those routings then I will earn the 100% bonus miles on that flight itself. Is that right?

Once I've completed the challenge how long will it take to get the benefits? Obviously lounge access would be nice but I'm more concerned about getting the 100% bonus miles. If I had a TPAC flight the next day would I still get my bonus? (Or if it wasn't done automatically I'd still be able to claim it manually I assume?)

The reason I'm asking this is because it doesn't seem like a lot of flying to get platinum status! But maybe the following is my Achilles' Heel... I currently have no elite status with any FFP so is that going to mean AAdvantage won't let "get on the challenge"?

Many thanks for your help.