FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Long Haul Commuter Run: LHR-IAD-ORD and back with UA
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:27 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part III - A Race, A RCC, and an A319!

At IAD

Transit Immigration was surprisingly quick (2 in the queue even though I was near enough at the back of the plane), without much discussion – actually one of the quickest entries I’ve had into the USA. I then walked over to luggage claim, with the priority tags WORKING for once – with my bags coming out first and third. Now I don’t care what anyone says – that’s quick.

After passing through agriculture, and the beloved TSA (full foot and shoe fetish in progress) I made my way up to the C gates.

Of course. My flight was at the D gates. After making sure my sherpa hiking gear was set, I made my way over to D7 for the next flight – with a good 15 minutes to spare before boarding.

Of course… the D8 club was right behind me. So sad .

But before I head off to my plane to The Bunny, I'm thirsty... where's is that dratted Red Carpet Club?

Lounge stop: United Red Carpet Club, D8 Club, D Concourse
Drinks drunk: 2 Coke Zeros, 1 Coke Cherry taken just in case
Rats found: Zero

After the race to D7, I made my way down, presented my BP and my BMI *G Card, and was admitted without any discussion. Enough time to sit down, drink a coke in the lounge and get comfy for a few seconds, visit the clean toilets and sit in a comfy chair and reorganise myself.

Overall – not a bad place to stay, but to be honest, the LHR *G lounge whoops the lounge without trying….

However pretty soon, it was time to leave the delights of IAD behind and head to the bunny.

Went upstairs to find 1K red carpet boarding had commenced – with Premiers and *G boarding called – at which point, I made myself present and boarded the jet.

United Airlines 151
Airbus A319-100
588 flown, 600 Earned
Channel 9: Disabled

The pictures, Over Chicago Picture Special

It's getting to the point that the A319 is turning into an old friend every time I get aboard one – it's one aircraft that is almost impossible to mess up.

I was greeted aboard – with a choice of my luggage lockers and sat down. When booked, this row was clear – the seat next door remained clear, ok not totally brilliant, but it’s still a spare seat on a 2 hour hop.

Alas, the captain didn’t want to share his thoughts today, so channel 9 was off (although he made the bare minimum announcements)

According to the purser on my previous flight, the most ridiculous form of transport - the Dulles Moon Buggies

Push back was early, and we were up in the air after a short taxi, taxiing past the C dock, and then left, then onto the runway

TED... RAR... but not for much longer

Upwards!

Service commenced shortly thereafter, which of course means drinking more diet coke and coffee than is good for me.

Service in progess

Drinks

Crew were friendly and talkative, with a good service being carried out, and cleanups done reasonably.

Seat pitch was typical 31” seat, and didn’t feel too tight.

The plane approached Chicago with the city to the right of the approach, before swinging around it, and then out across Lake Michigan before looping back into ORD.

You can see the rest of this set on my photoblog

Back at The Bunny

Landing was pretty swift, and after a short taxi, we docked into the B gates and disembarked. Alas, luggage was at belt 12, where we had come in the equivalent of belt 1.

Once at the belt, again my luggage was amongst the first out, and I was off to the hotel.

Overall
Not a bad domestic flight - the crew did their job and ATC did a great job of sending the plane around the windy city. A bit of Channel 9 would had been perfect though...

Last edited by Kevincm; Aug 13, 2010 at 10:01 pm Reason: Formatting again, added comment.