FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposal: Split UA into multiple child forums
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The only logical division I can see is between miles discussion and non-miles discussion. Even that division is somewhat artificial. Even if things were bad enough to consider this, I doubt that the cure would be better than the disease.

Topic filters a la fatwallet would help you, but our vbulletin software is different from what they use.

If you see a serious problem, have a private discussion with the moderators of the forum. If they agree with you, you might set up a plan of action whereby you Report Bad Post on complaints and other threads that should be merged into existing threads.

Limiting the proliferation of new threads on similar topics improves forum readability for people whose interest is more focused. However this is a lot of work for the moderators. Having reliable extra sets of eyes reporting the need for merging threads is a huge help for the mods. My current co-moderator curbcrusher did this for me for years.