FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choose my new work laptop for me?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2009, 3:52 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What's wrong with your X60? Considering the popularity of netbooks today, which aren't that different in size and I'd guess somewhat slower based on benchmarks I have seen, I don't see anything wrong with keeping the X60 if it does the job. In fact, I am typing this on my own X60 (tablet, actually, but I rarely use it as such), and have little desire to spend money on a replacement right now. Why? Because I haven't learned to type faster or read faster in the last two or so years. And that's what I mostly do on this machine. I might replace my battery again in a few months, but everything else still meets my requirements.

Originally Posted by cordelli
Given those choices, I think the primary difference is the IBM does not have an optical drive on it, the toshiba does, and that the IBM has an 8 or 10 hour battery. Personally I would probably go with the IBM. It just feels more solid. Not sure if it's because it's a bit larger, or it's got more metal, but it just seems like it will hold up better.
Not to nitpick, but IBM doesn't make the Thinkpads anymore. Lenovo bought IBM's PC business in 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinkpad#Lenovo_purchase