FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Choose my new work laptop for me?
View Single Post
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:04 pm
gleff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Choose my new work laptop for me?

I've been working off a Thinkpad X60 for the past 3 years. Time to retire it, or more accurately to pass it off to someone junior to me at work.

What do I want as its replacement?

Primary interest is portability, though it is the sole machine I use. I carry it everywhere, work to home and back, and around the world. Not concerned with a small screen, I've been happy with the X60. And I got used to not having a trackpad after 2-3 days three years back. Battery life matters as well, for when I'm on a long flight without seat power and also because I carry it around with me to meetings all day and usually don't bring the power supply.

Usaully IT just assigns computers to folks, that doesn't fly with me and they'll buy me whatever I tell them to. At the same time I do not want to appear profligate in the current environment. Still, investment in productivity matters. Don't need bells and whistles, this is not a gaming machine, I want an efficient system for my daily work in email, excel, word, etc.

My IT folks' suggestion to me was the Toshiba Portege R500 or the Thinkpad X200S. (I gave them a description of my needs and that's what they came back with.)

Do I want either of those? If so, which one? If not, what do I want?

Thanks,
Gary