FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best/worst Big 6 program for low-yield flyers?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 7:18 pm
RustyC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Best/worst Big 6 program for low-yield flyers?

I'm an unabashed low-revenue, low-yield frequent flyer, piling up miles almost exclusively on leisure trips paid from my own limited funds, and at gold or higher status on one airline or another for 11 straight years now.

As others who do this know, many airlines lately are treating us about as well as they treated the travel agents. Suddenly it's time to bash the "seat warmers" (We'll see if they like the revenue from an empty seat better than the revenue they're getting from us!)

And so the question: How would you rank the big 6 U.S. airline programs currently from the view of someone who will almost always be flying on those low-fare categories that airlines now seem to love to hate?

My own attempt would go something like this:

Northwest (least hostile)
Continental
United
American
USAir
Delta (most hostile)

Seems like the biggest battle lines are: Domestic upgrades, ability to requalify for elite status, and mileage-earning ability (both regular and including specials, if they have any that apply) at low fares. If your favorite award is international upgrades it might change the perspective, especially if you have the gall to want to upgrade from a low international fare (I mean, reeeealllllyyyyy.....)

Better times will eventually return for the airlines, but they'll still try to hold onto cuts made now unless competitive pressures and low-rev flyers voting with their feet force changes.

Thoughts?