FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)
Old Mar 2, 2009, 6:32 pm
CDF

Location: Michigan, DL Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Gold
Gate checks are back in DTW - at least they were on Sunday 3/1. I was on NW flight 262 DTW - PHX and saw TSA screeners around the gate area and figured that they were going to do gate checks. It didn't help that I was number 6 in boarding for FC - lucky me won the gate raffle to be selected. Funny thing was that they just asked to see my laptop bag - opened it to check if a computer was inside and sent me on my way. I was actually surprised that the whole process took about 5 seconds and the glance in my bag was cursory. I'm really not sure what the intended results of random gate checks are if things are just being given a quick once-over. While I was glad it only took a few seconds it was sort of frustrating since it didn't really seem to accomplish anything.

I really hope gate checks are not coming back as it seems I must fit some profile to be selected. Back when searching bags at the gates was in full swing I could usually count on being pulled aside about 75% of the time I flew (I fly every week for business). I agree with some of the comments posted earlier in that if you don't trust the people up front to do their jobs then fix the problems up front.