FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Avis Fleet List (US & Canada Cars by Class)
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:41 pm
IAHtraveler
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by kgdal
Avis in ABQ refused to provide us with a vehicle similar to Chevy Trailblazer on our Standard SUV reservation and instead offered a Saturn Vue or Ford Edge. They argued that the Trailblazer and Explorer and similar are in the full-size category, not Group W. They finally provided an Explorer at same price as our Standard SUV reservation.
I haven't taken the time to update the top of this thread yet (with the links... my fault; it'll be done within a day or two). They no longer have the letter group designations, only names ("Full Size Car, Standard SUV, Premium SUV", etc).

Be careful with the "Standard SUV" bookings. Avis.com now shows 2 different "Standard SUV" categories: one is the Jeep Commander (7 ppl, 4 doors) and the other is the Chevy Trailblazer (5 people, 2/4 doors). I don't agree with Avis in your situation, but their website is so vague that an Edge or Vue technically qualify as a "Standard SUV" (5 people, 3 large bags, 2 small bags, 2/4 doors, AM/FM radio, A/C, Automatic, etc.). It's probably intentional that their site is so vague. They used to have a "Crossover SUV" category which included the Vue and Edge, but they dropped it.

Maybe we need to start carrying vehicle specs with us from now on? The Trailblazer (or similar) category should be close to what the TB has:
Max cargo capacity (seats folded): 80 cu. ft. (Vue is 56, Edge is 69)
Luggage capacity (seats upright): 42 cu. ft. (Vue 29, Edge 32)
Overall length: 192" (Vue 180, Edge 186)
Front hip room: 56" (Vue 53, Edge 55). If you don't think 1" makes a significant difference in seat size, go sit on a plane, then put a 1" spacer alongside yourself on the seat and come back and tell me what you think.

The list of comparisons goes on and on to prove that (at least in my book) the Vue or Edge is NOT similar to the Trailblazer. I would write to Avis and complain that what they tried to push on you was not similar to what you reserved and didn't like their treatment. You might get a few $10 vouchers, but more importantly, (if we all do this with their sizing crap) they might realize how much it annoys the customer. [rant over]