FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Additional driver fee
View Single Post
Old Feb 23, 2009, 4:08 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sea3kids
Thanks for the tip. The Dollar reservation agent says that some locations do not charge, but most do, incl. MCO. I will try to get try Dollar to price match at the counter. I printed off a Thrifty rental (for my dates, vehicle size, etc) that shows the magic card waiving the additional driver fee. Hopefully this will work.
Since rental agents work on a commission system, it might help to try bribing them. Tell them that you'll do something like buy a tank of gas or upgrade to a larger car if they waive the additional driver fee. At the worst, you'll end up paying the same (e.g. with a $10 per day upgrade), but you'll walk away with something to show for it (a nicer car or a tank of gas or something).

One thing to note--apparently the Fastlane computer system used at corporate stores is locked down pretty tightly. Even though she knew a friend of mine and she was trying to be helpful, she couldn't outright waive the underage fee. She ended up giving me a promotional credit of some sort that offset most of it, but she couldn't just click "no" and remove it. As much as your agent might want to, he/she might not be able to remove the additional driver fee.

Franchises typically have a lot more leeway on stuff like this.