FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the etiquette of reclination....
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2009, 4:00 pm
generaltao

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by prncess674
So you as a tall person have more rights to my space? So you are saying it is okay for you as a tall person to look back and see me a short woman and cock your seat back in full recline mode, but that I can't do the same to you?
Hmm.. no.

I was pretty clear that I was not approaching this issue from the POV of your 'rights' and my 'rights'. Technically, I have the right to walk up to you and call you a nasty name. There are other factors than my rights which would prevent me from doing so. Chief among them, civility, politeness and respect.

I don't think it's 'OK' or not 'OK' to lean my seat. I *always* ask. But the stature of the person behind me is a factor, yes. Let me ask you this:

Ever gotten into the back seat of a car that is being driven by a tall person? Ever had a tall person get into that back seat with you? Ever offered the tall person to let them have the front passenger seat, or offered to sit behind the driver and let them have the other side? If so, THANK YOU for your kindness. We taller people know that you would have preferred the extra legroom as well and are sincerely grateful for your sacrifice and consideration.

No obligations, no 'rights'. Just simple gratitude and simple courtesy. I can't help being tall any more than you can help being short. And I will gladly assist you when through no fault of your own, your stature puts you at a disadvantage in this world that is designed for 5'10", 175 lbs, right-handed adult males.