FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - the etiquette of reclination....
View Single Post
Old Feb 17, 2009, 3:43 pm
nkedel
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by thegeneral
That you choose to stick your knees in a position where they might be hurt is not anyone's issue but yours. Time to be a grown up and take some personal responsibility.
Well, it might also be the airline's issue. If you're truly too tall for a reclining seat in front of you, and are not already an elite FF, you MIGHT be able to use that as an ADA reason to preselect otherwise-elites-only bulkhead seats.

Or not. That's between the tall person and the airline.

The fact that while as a moderately fat person I fit much less comfortably in a middle seat than a window or aisle where I can lean away from my neighbor does not entitle me to force my neighbor not to sit up straight. Similarly, my neighbors and my mutual comfort being increased by an armrest that does not go up does not automatically entitely me to one. One of the reasons I have worked so hard to keep PLT (and have earned lifetime GLD) is to make sure I can as far as possible keep to situations for seating where both I'm comfortable and I don't inconvenience anyone else.

And sometimes, it just doesn't work out. The single narrowest seat in terms of insufficient butt-room was in F, on an AA Fokker 100 (although I've never sat in a 2-side bulkhead on an 1-2 regional - the aisle side of that might be narrower, but the one-side bulkhead is definitely wider.) In those cases, you just suck it up, and contort yourself as best you can for comfort.