FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Channel 9 Availability" Discussion Thread [ARCHIVE]
Old Feb 16, 2009, 8:40 pm
IAD-UAer

Programs: UA 1P, various worthless hotel status levels
Originally Posted by EdinMD
I asked him why no channel 9, and he explained that it wasn't worth the hassle to him: a passenger had made a report to the FAA about a missed approach and go -around due to wind shear when a buddy was piloting, and although everything had been done by the book, the hassle of the investigation was not worth it.
Ed
Funny this came up, because I've heard this several times as well. I've spoken with several current and former FAA employees of varying levels that have worked on the United certificate and I've asked them if they've heard of people writing FAA to complain about things they've heard on Channel 9. While each claimed they try to respond and take all customer complains seriously, only one had ever heard of a complaint based on something that was heard on Channel 9, and they said it was taken with a grain of salt. The FAA appears to be smart enough to know that some idiot listening to Channel 9 after eating cold nuts and pounding some recirculated champagne isn't exactly a qualified expert on go arounds, missed approaches, etc. I think this "my buddy got a call from the FAA" stuff is either an urban legend that spiraled out of control or just a convenient excuse.

Maybe there is this wild "the FAA cracked down on me because some idiot wrote a letter" instance out there but I'm skeptical. Keep in mind this is the same FAA that allowed the Southwest and AA incidents.

I no longer buy this crap when UA pilots circulate it.