FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Innovative ways to earn Citi ThankYou flight points
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:15 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astriker
Keep in mind that your flight points transferred over to your account cannot exceed your purchase points. This changed in the last 12 months, as it used to be no limit.

If I buy a ticket for $200 for fees, then fly 12,000 miles on my ticket, I have to spend $12,000 on my credit card when the ticket hits, or I only get what I spent. If the $200 is the most I spent by chance, you would receive 200 flight points and 200 spend points.

This was not the policy before, I had gone to Europe before and booked my family tickets, and I received all the points and there is no way I spent 30,000 in the month.
It has ALWAYS been the case that the flight pts cannot be more than the purchase points. However, the signup bonus is treated as purchase points. Therefore, there is that 25K "purchase pts" right there, ready to match the flight pts.

You probably forgot the portion of bonus points - that most like was HOW your 30K flight pts got posted.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Buying an expensive refundable ticket to hit the desired spending level and then -- after the points post -- refunding the ticket and closing the account doesn't still work?
Unfortunately, while you have the flight pts matched and posted - the refund of the ticket would essentially created a negative entry on the card, and you get equal amount of DEDUCTION of your TYPs.

Furthermore, the new rules effective -3/01 - closing your card would also CANCEL any TYP balance derived from that card. There are even rules about Citi can FREEZE your TYN account and it would charge you to unfreeze your TYN account.

New Rules have been out as part of the statement, you should have received it unless your statement date happens to be last week of the month - then you probably be among the last batch to be notified, officially.

Personally I expect to see new threads spring up in coming months about how they lose their TYPs or their TYN accounts are closed by Citi.... And I would say TOUGH, because the new rules are very clear.