FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Winter Wanderings Around America by Plane And Train
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:02 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I meant to address this earlier, but my recent surgery made it a difficult proposition at the time.

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Wow, so I guess if you don't bring your own shower amenities, you will have nothing to clean yourself except water ?
I'd like to take a moment to apologize to ORDnHKG and any other similarly concerned readers for my initially brusque response (posted for awhile last week and since edited, but nonetheless read by many) to this comment regarding Amtrak's lack of shower amenities other than a towel. My first reaction was essentially - Of all the things to comment on or show concern about in contemplating your first trip on a train, THIS is what concerns you? Keeping Clean?

In retrospect, I accept it's a valid concern for many people.

I am not most people.

I have spent - and continue to spend - alot of time traveling for the sheer joy of travel. Of just going somewhere. I've hitch-hiked thousands of miles all over the country, ridden multi-day trips in steerage on freighters, taken 7-10 day journeys by horseback and raft, and ridden many multi-day journeys by train all over the world. Prior to these travels, never once have I been concerned about my options for cleaning myself.

This is not to say that when traveling I devolve into some stinking unwashed slob who inflicts myself on my fellow passengers. I'm just not concerned about whether or not I'll be able to stay clean during a journey because I'm confident I'll work that out as I go along. I do not believe I will go to Hell if I don't change my underwear or socks daily. The reality is there's always a sink, a shower or a truckstop somewhere. I've even purchased a gallon bottle of water, some soap and paper towels to clean up behind my vehicle in an obscure corner of a city parking lot. I do what I have to do and I don't get squeamish about it. I've quite literally been on the road waaay too long for that.

Above all else, the great affair is to GO. To travel.

But that's me. Though I can afford much, much more, I live in a cabin without water and get 3 channels of TV. I have to carry in water and first heat it on a stove if I want a shower. This has been a normal and acceptable existence to me for years. Even when I was working 50 weeks a year, I managed in this style just fine. I like "The Life" more than the creature comforts. I'm not better or worse - just different.

Still, I've been around long enough and have gotten out in the world more than enough to appreciate that we all have varying degrees of tolerance for how we choose to live our lives, be it at home or out on the road. Whereas I may prefer an old motel, you want nothing less than a Starwood Suite. Nothing wrong with that. Whereas I wouldn't hesitate to ride any train on a multi-day journey regardless of whether it had a shower, others place a higher premium on cleanliness first. Nothing wrong with that.

There is something wrong however in saying I have no interest in toiletries, so please don't ask me about them. Given the varied audience here at FT, the concern over brands and/or lack of toiletries is a valid one and I should have been more polite and understanding in my response.

So ORDnHKG, I apologize that I wasn't. Although in terms of sheer luxury Amtrak's First Class would hardly compare favorably with the world's finest railroads, I would like to think that if you did purchase a bedroom you would have a comfortable and scenic experience with positive memories of the trip that would last you a lifetime. Just remember to bring some soap and shampoo along.

Thanks again to those of you who've taken the time to comment or ask questions.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 13, 2009 at 4:04 pm