FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - (Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China
Old Feb 10, 2009, 4:56 pm
jmc123

New Courtyard Marriott Just Opened in Shanghai (Xujiahui a convenient place to be?)

Apparently it's the 800th Courtyard to be opened. I guess China would be the obvious place to open it given 8 is considered a very lucky number for the Chinese.

I'm planning to go to Shanghai / China in the spring for the first time, so this is great news. Anyone know whether the Xujiahui area of Shanghai is a good place to stay for a first timer. I've read all the posts on Shanghai and done some online research on the Xujiahui area and it seems perfectly fine. The recommendations on FT tend toward the Bund / French concession area, but I like the idea of staying at a brand new US branded hotel. I understand that there are lots of malls, small shops and food stores in the Xujiahui area and it's close to the subway.

My criteria in order of priority for choosing a hotel are (does this area meet that criteria??):

1) Safe at night (where there are people walking around, not a dead commercial/financial center at night)

2) Easy to get cabs. Subway nearby is a plus.

3) Lots of restaurants nearby.

4) Aesthetic appeal - has character or streets are clean/well-maintained, pleasant and easy place to take a stroll in the mornings (and not get run over by cars/motorcycles or be breathing in tons of exhaust).

Thoughts?