FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - I'm in a long distance relationship, need cheap flights!
Old Feb 10, 2009, 7:51 am
ralfp

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by jplus
Congratulations on your new relationship.
Mind telling us where you will be flying from?
Lebanon?
Originally Posted by aaaz
I've just moved to Lebanon!

I do business development for an online travel agency focused on accommodation bookings (we do around 1000 reservations per day), so I'm wondering if there's anyway I can leverage that role in order to get cheap flights.

If I get discounted flights then I'll be able to see her every weekend (or max every 2nd weekend), which is the minimum I need to survive!!
Welcome to FlyerTalk. Regarding the discounted flights, is that not something that you could ask your employer or coworkers?

What citizenship do you hold? One potential issue that immediately comes to mind is that 25 trips a year to the UK could red flags at UK immigration. If they're anything like US immigration, you might not want to tell them that you are visiting a girlfriend (unless you hold UK, or perhaps other EU, citizenship).

At USD500 r/t (what I see now for advance purchase non-stop is $1000 r/t), 25 r/t per year would be $12,500. Don't forget the cost of transport to/from the airport, especially in London; it adds up.

As for practicality, if you can afford $1000 per trip, it could work, as the travel time would be 8 hours each way (door to door). Unless you are used to regular weekly air travel, forget connecting flights.