FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you had unlimited funds for a dream "round the world" trip...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:55 am
manneca

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Honestly, I'd figure out where in the world I wanted to visit, examine the culture, explore our planet, etc., then look at who flew there. Maximizing time in a metal tube wouldn't be one of my goals. I doubt many of the top global F airlines would fly where I want to go. I'd probably end up on a whole bunch of ships (Antarctica), small primitive jets (Everest, Amazon, african desert), and other non big-plane modes of transport.
Me, too! I'm much more interested in where FTers would go than what they would fly, heresy though it might be here on FT.

I'm planning a RTW trip to begin the day I retire! (in Sept 2012, I think, assuming I still have a dollar to my name to retire on and the world still exists). I've got the beginning down pat: CO island hop to Guam and then to Yap, Palau and Truk to dive and kayak. Then on to Cairns for the total eclipse of the sun (I already have my room reserved on Green Island, just have to remember to resend my credit card info when my current card expires). After that? SE Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia. If I haven't made it to Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos by then, include those too! Nepal and Bhutan. Way too much, but I'm taking a year.

At some point, I'd like to spend 6 months in Africa and at least a month in India. I'm saving Europe for when I get too old to do the good stuff!