FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]
Old Feb 1, 2009, 9:24 pm
KENNECTED
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I haven’t stayed at this property in a while so it was time for a checkup.

Located at the north end of Michigan Avenue this property is all about location, location, location. In the shadow of the Hancock center, a stones throw from Watertower Place and abundant, restaurants, nightlife and shopping.

The last time I stayed here the management was totally inept and I ripped off a seething letter. I was happy to be informed that the individual, who made my previous stay hell, has been relieved of his duties.

Other than a long line at check in this property this property has improved by leaps and bounds.

RANKINGS
Check-in/Check-out [4 out of 5]
Long line at check in as staff was changing shifts.

There is a dedicated Gold/Platinum line. The G/P line was unoccupied as I waited in line and opened, alone with another check in, when I was second in line.

Common Areas [4]
The lobby and common areas are very clean, bright, well lit and maintained. In the lobby they have a refreshment center right next to check in line.

Guest Room [4]
The rooms have greatly improved. The room I was assigned comprised of a nice sized bedroom and corner parlor to make up a pretty large suite. The suite was large enough to accommodate several people.

Overall First Impression: Renovated and on par with the DC and Philly Westin’s I’ve recently visited.
Bed: This Heavenly bed wasn’t as firm as I like, but all the accoutrements of the Heavenly Bed was there.

Furniture & Decor: Casual modern and in good condition. Décor is appropriate for Downtown urban hotel

Closet Space: The closet was a bit on the tiny side, for a room it’s size the closet seemed out of proportion

TV: 27”. This is the one thing that disappoints. Old school TV.
Workspace: The bedroom desk shares the ice chest and other items and could be a problem for some. There were extra electric outlets in the room for those with lots of devices

Lighting: Ample lighting in the room and the room has large windows so there is a ton of natural light.

View: Corner room so I could see up and down Michigan Avenue
Radio/Audio: No iPod docking station and a dated radio. Starwood has to up it’s game in this area.

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
Very long narrow bathroom, but no separate shower. I found that odd for a bathroom of that size. While in the bathroom I could vaguely hear people in the hallway. There were glasses and plastic cups.

Sink: Dual sinks with lots of counter space and great lighting.

Shower: Heavenly shower with excellent water pressure but I found the temperature of the water to get to hot.
Tub: No separate tub

Toiletries: Typical Westin toiletries.

Parlor [5]
The parlor connected from the bedroom. Walking out of the bedroom into the parlor there was a nice sized bathroom. With amenities that matched the bedroom bathroom.

There was a large desk with lots of outlets and a great view looking south on Michigan Avenue. The room is a nice size and has a sofa, two club chairs and few ottomans. The is a Murphy bed and a huge closet. In addition, the parlor has a Bose radio.

Housekeeping [N/A]
The staff was prompt. I had the DND sign on the door and was never interrupted. They replaced all items and toiletries on each night of my stay. Received turndown service every evening.

Club Level/Lounge [N/A]
No Lounge

Fitness Center [5]
Nice sized space with up to date cardio machines & ellipticals, smaller room with free weights off to the side. Very relaxing attached to smaller rooms with free weights.

Pool [0]
No pool

Business Center [N/A]
Yes but didn’t use.

Concierge [N/A]
Didn't use, but there is a concierge on staff located in the lobby.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [4]
Free Internet in the lobby, $13 a night in rooms. Signal was strong throughout the suite and suffered no interruptions.

Parking/Valet/Cabs [N/A]
Did not use. No car needed in Chicago. Cabs are plenty

Restaurant/Room Service [N/A]
Didn’t use.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
On par with other Westin properties and cleaner than the W’s

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
Staff has greatly improved, over my last stay. The staff has had a complete overhaul for the better. Everyone was prompt and attentive.

Great location. Can walk to your office (if on business), restaurants, attractions, parks, and shopping.

Would I return?
Yes.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
No.

Good for business travelers?
Yes.

Good for a romantic get away?
Yes, nice rooms and spa services.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
yes

Would I recommend restaurant?
NA.

Value for price paid?
Good

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 9

Note: This review is a little dated (I totally forgot to post it ), so hopefully someone can chime in on the TV upgrades and as noted by BW, the toiletries have changed..