FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Weather delays this week
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2009, 2:25 pm
sunrisegirl
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Icarusian
Hello from Bournemouth. I'm on the diverted BA8087 from DUB. Apparently due to BAA ground staff incompetence at LGW, an incorrect de-icer mixture was sprayed on the runway at LGW, causing it to freeze. LGW is closed until 2115 at the earliest. Many flights diverted to Bournemouth. We were apparently the second.

Update at 2115: latest from the captain is that the runway will reopen at 2200. Update from the crew is that it's the 3rd time in 2 months that the same de-icer issue has occured at LGW.
Icarusian - I wouldn't say the BAA are necessarily to blame on this occasion. The weather at LGW is horrendous to say the least. There are blizzard type conditions and even the M23 was only just drivable when I left. Numerous cars had stopped as it was almost impossible to see through the blizzard. I'm one of the first to blame the BAA but on this occasion it's simply the weather is too bad.

I hope you get back soon and good luck for tomorrow.